The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture - Bamidgeh 55(4), 2003
The 7th Annual Dan Popper Symposium


ZERO-EFFLUENT GILTHEAD SEA BREAM MARICULTURE IN
EILAT: GROWTH AND NUTRIENT BUDGETS


Amir Neori ¹*, Vladimir Odintsev¹ and Jaap van Rijn²

1 Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research Ltd., The National Center for Mariculture, P.O.Box 1212, Eilat 88112, Israel

2 Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot 76100, Israel


Abstract

A 12 m³ pilot mariculture system for sea bream has been in operation for three years in Eilat. Aerobic and anoxic treatment loops, foam fractionation, oxygenation and ozonation allowed 100%r ecirculation. From May 2000, the system was gradually stocked (total stocking 696 kg), reaching 60 kg/m³ . By August 2001, 490 kg fish (35 kg/m³ /year; FCR =2.3) were produced, while at the same time 789 kg fish died, mostly of power cuts and diseases. In total, 397 kg of the fish were exported live and sold. Ninety cubic meters of tap water and 21 m³ of sea water were used (227 l/kg production). The nitrification-denitrification processes gasified about 85% of the unassimilated organic C and N. The remaining solids contained only about 15% of the unassimilated organic C and N, but all of the unassimilated P and ash.

In a second trial, 6000 sea bream fingerlings (average weight 1 g) were stocked in mid-December 2001. In mid-August (when the trial was cut short by a mechanical incident), the average fish weighed 91 g and the biomass produced was 485 kg (extrapolated to 61 kg/m³ /year; FCR =1.6). Of this 107 kg were exported live and 67 kg died of various causes. Water use (194 l/kg production) consisted of 47 m³ tap water and 47 m³ seawater. The data demonstrate the biotechnological ability to commercially culture sea bream in completely recycled sea water.

*email: aneori@shani.net

home